You can have a Google Analytics (GA) and a Google Tag Manager (GTM) account simultaneously.
The Tag Manager info can be setup within and in conjunction with the Analytics info. Here is a link to to that:
- Go to https://google.com/tagmanager
- it will ask you if you already have an account at the top of the page. Click sign in.
- It should show 1. Create account the Account Name.
- - add your account name (website name if it is for the site)
- Then, Create a container
- - New container
- - enter a container name and save
- The container snippet provided for each container.
- - copy and paste the snippet to the top of section on every page on the site.
- - REMOVE tags (Google analytics, Adwords Tracking) from the site pages at the same time.
Here is a link for setup and workflow:
I am doing it now for my account to see how easy it is.
Once you get the snippet, and fill up the tags, Your account should be up and running to use Tags and have your analytics profile going.